[LON-CAPA-users] weight to a folder?

Lars Jensen lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 12:34:55 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Nathan,

As far as I know, the helper mode doesn't do anything you can't do
from the Table mode. The helper mode is just a little simpler in appearance.

In either of above modes, you asswign a weight to each problem in the
folder, so if you add a problem to the folder the total weight of the
folder changes compared to the entire course. Let's assume I have a
course with 12 folders, like below. Each homework folder contains a
number of problems, as does each exam folder. The number of problems may
change a little from semester to semester, but the foldernames and the
number of folders stay the same. I'd like to be able to assign to each
folder a fixed weight. For example each homework folder may contribute
3% towards the course grade. This kind of assignment would make grade
arithmetics much simpler, both for students and for instructors.

As things are now, an added problem in a folder causes a cascade of
changes to the entire course in the way grades are calculated, and this
may cause editing several documents (explaining grading policies to
students). The current grade calculation setup is cumbersome and
tedious, unless I am missing something....

FOLDER:			WEIGHT:

Homework 1		3%
Homework 2		3%
.