[LON-CAPA-users] Re: jsMath

Lars Jensen lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:12:56 -0800

Hi Guy,

After looking a little more into the impletemtation of jsMath, I decided
to implement it for lon-capa. You can check this page to see how jsMath
displays math:

http://schubert.tmcc.edu/res/tmcc/jensen/stat/05/we5_1.html    (public
access)

The math on above page is about the same as that on this page which I
use currently in my lon-capa class:
http://schubert.tmcc.edu/res/tmcc/jensen/stat/05/we5.html

All you have to do to use  jsMath is:

- put the jsMath.js javascript in /home/httpd/html on the lon-capa server
- surround displaymath in div-tags: <DIV CLASS="math"> ..... </DIV> -tags
- surround in-line math with span-tags <SPAN CLASS="math"> ...  </SPAN>

In othe words, use div-tags and span tags instead of the lon-capa m-tag
and $-signs.

If the browser supports mathml it looks optimal, but it still looks good
without.

Please check the examples at:
http://www.math.union.edu/~dpvc/jsMath/welcome.html

Initially, to be able to use jsMath with lon-capa, all you have to do is
to include the jsMath script  with lon-capa.

Lars.