[LON-CAPA-users] guest accounts advice

Ray Batchelor lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:06:33 -0800

> If the person you are trying to "sell" to is an instructor at SFU, I
> don't see anything wrong given that person an author account.  I would
> tell them to create a subdirector called Workspace and then do all their
> playing around in there. You can continue your Workspace demo by having
> the new author edit the Directory Catalog Information for Workspace and
> show them how to publish as private for example.

Uhhh... do you mean the default.meta for the Workspace directory?

I believe that I will probably do something like the above and in fact give
them both cc and author roles, but warn them about what not to do.

Since it is my hope that other departments will eventually get their own
library servers, I was hoping not to clutter up mine with authors who only
publish one two test samples.  I thought that perhaps I could avoid this by
creating a user "Guest" to which I make all such users co-authors.  This way
I will only have one undesireable author account on my system.  I would then
only give actual unixauth access to a bona fide author.

What do you think about that?

Ray