[LON-CAPA-users] Recycled Course Syllabus

Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:43:12 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Todd,

> Yes, I mean cloned.  If we delete, and then re-add the syllabus, though,
> we'll have to type everything in again, won't we?

It turns out you won't, the cloing process does everything correctly
except update the URL in the course structure to point at the right
place.

> Also, if the syllabus is linked, it sounds like if *changes* are made to
> the cloned syllabus (not deleting and re-creating) that then also change
> the syllabus of the course from which it was cloned? If so, I would call
> this a bug.

Well as CC of the cloned course you don't have the permissions to edit
the Syllabus of the clonee, so whil you get the link to the old
course, you can't actually edit it.

> Seems like for a cloned course, things like syllabi and bulletin boards
> maybe should be physically copied, rather than linked.  That way a
> "Fresh" empty bulletin board of the same name would be created (Maybe
> this does happen.  I don't ususally use bulletin boards), and a fresh,
> unique copy of the syllabus not attached to other courses.

Aye, this all already occurs. The sole buglet is that the URL on the
syllabus isn't updated. (Which I nearly have fixed off and will be in
the final 1.2.0)

(You get the bulletin board setup copied over, but none of the
conversation)
(The syllabus data is copied over)

--
guy@albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-3-9-