[LON-CAPA-users] Adding Main Crs. Docs to old course

Ray Batchelor lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:48:27 -0700

Hi,

I'd like a word of advice on the following topic.
I have courses  (originally created back in August, using what was then
v0.99.4, I believe, but it might have been 0.99 or even something earlier).
I made them the old way by publishing and assigning a top level sequence for
the course.  Thus when I go to DOCS I see only the one resource.

Since I've had a couple of bad previous experiences in attempting to add or
move things in the main course sequence on an active course using DOCS, I am
now leary of making such changes.  I believe that I am probably unnecessarily
fearful about this, but I really don't want to risk disrupting the active
class.  On the other hand, I would like to add some bulletin boards to the
main sequence.  I'd be happy to just add them at the end, but it might be
nice to add some in the middle too.  I've tested this out on a recently
created course which is not yet active and it seems to me that DOCS is
working very nicely and flexibly in v1.0.2 for that case.  i.e. I could
REMOVE the single sequence and reload it using DOCS without immediately
noticeable damage (i.e my two test-dummy students still have all their scores
and the course intializes OK -- I haven't had a close look at the PARMs yet
though).

So I guess my questions are:
What are the confidence levels that I can do similar sorts of things with my
currently live courses?

What limitations should I be acutely aware of?

Perhaps I should just stick to popping in a bulletinboard or two at the end,
and just leave the original main course sequence as the first resource?

Thanks,
Ray