[LON-CAPA-users] How to UPDATE ???

Scott Harrison lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 30 May 2002 01:13:36 -0400

Dear Dr. Jensen:

> How do I updtae my system the way that is described on the web site
> (with loncapa.tar.gz). The readme file speaks of RedHat 7.2 - I have
> RedHat 6.2.
>
> 	Does the update still apply to 6.2?

Yes.

> 	In which directory should I expand loncapa.tar.gz (~jensen/loncapa ?)

It does not matter.

> 	Should I run UPDATE as root?

Yes.

> 	Once UPDATE has finished, do I need to do anything else?

You will likely need to change your MySQL www@localhost password to
be "localhostkey".

You should also restart the Apache and lonc/lond services:
/etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd restart
/etc/rc.d/init.d/loncontrol restart

> A separate question is whether a new install CD is going to be available
> at the upcoming meeting?

Maybe, but loncapa.tar.gz is more important and useful than an installation CD
IMHO.  The goal is to have UPDATE work on any RedHat system irrespective
of the state of the filesystem.

Regards,
Scott