[LON-CAPA-users] CAPA translator

Robert McQueen lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Sun, 17 Mar 2002 15:46:01 -0500

Hi All {{Happy Very Belated Birthday Felicia}} :D

    I have an old question that popped into mind while revisiting the
problem conversion script we use here at OU.  How does one handle the
situation below?  Is there a way to do it other than using <display> tags?
---------------------
ORIGINAL CAPA FORMAT:
---------------------
/LET N11=random(1,4)
/DIS(tex("\vskip .10in ","")) /DIS(tex("\input
/OUp200lib/pictures/set8tab",""))
/DIS(var_in_tex(N11))/DIS(tex(".tex",""))  /DIS(tex("\end{center}",""))

---------------------
LON-CAPA FORMAT:
---------------------
<script type="loncapa/perl">
$N11=&random(1,4);
</script>
<startouttext /><hr />
<tex>\vskip .10in \input
/OUp200lib/pictures/set8tab$N11.tex\end{center}</tex>
<endouttext />
---------------------
This would not work because of the misinterpretation of the "$" sign,
correct?

Can one intermix <display> tags and <tex> tags such as shown below?

---------------------
LON-CAPA FORMAT:
---------------------
<script type="loncapa/perl">
$N11=&random(1,4);
</script>
<startouttext /><hr />
<tex>\vskip .10in \input
<endouttext />
---------------------

To me it seems that the first version I specified in LON-CAPA format
would be a lot more legible and intuitive but does not work.

Is there a <varintex>/<texvar> tag?  Is there one being developed?

A possible solution would be to have such an xml tag be a child element of
<tex> to delimit variables and/or have it be able to stand on it's own.  One
only be a child of <tex> and <varintex> would be able to stand-alone or also
be a child of <tex> and have the same capability of <var>.  Or one could not
have <var>, just <varintex>...whatever floats your boat.  ;)

I know the above description may be a bit confusing, sorry about that.  But
the 3 possible formats are shown below for clarity:

---------------------
LON-CAPA FORMAT 1:
---------------------
<script type="loncapa/perl">
$N11=&random(1,4);
</script>
<startouttext /><hr />
<tex>\vskip .10in \input
<endouttext />
---------------------
Format 1 utilizes the <var> implementatation.
---------------------
LON-CAPA FORMAT 2:
---------------------
<script type="loncapa/perl">
$N11=&random(1,4);
</script>
<startouttext /><hr />
<tex>\vskip .10in \input
<endouttext />
---------------------
Format 2 utilized <varintex> as a stand-alone tag.
---------------------
LON-CAPA FORMAT 3:
---------------------
<script type="loncapa/perl">
$N11=&random(1,4);
</script>
<startouttext /><hr />
<tex>\vskip .10in \input
<endouttext />
Format 3 utilizes <varintex> as a child of <tex>.  My idea would be to
either have all 3 formats be available or at least the last 2.  How does
this sound?

Later.

Robert M.
Ohio University