[LON-CAPA-users] CAPA translator

Felicia Berryman lon-capa-users@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 07 Mar 2002 10:50:51 -0500

Hi Hon-Kie,

> A few follow-up questions on CAPA translation.
>
> 1. What is the "correct" way to translate &web, &tex and &html functions
> when they are called from the problem narrative? Is <display> a no-no?

I have some students translating now and they have been replacing most
of the &web and $tex with the <m> tag.  In some cases, the <m> tag is
not necessary.  For example, the <m> tag is a good idea for displaying
x^2/2 but not needed if you are just doing superscripting or bolding.
Guy has translated problems where he has decided to keep the &tex
function because a particular table printed better with &tex then with
translation from html.

> 2. How should files like StdUnits, StdMacros etc be handled? Has a decision
> been made as to where the files should be placed?

Mark Lucas uses these files.  My students aren't using them.  We are
just replacing m_u with <i>m</i> for example.  Mark may wish to comment
on his method of translation.

Felicia
--
Felicia Berryman