[LON-CAPA-dev] A line from the guts manual about roles

Guy Albertelli II lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:14:30 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Jeremy,

> "When a user first logs in, their role is the 'common' role, which means
> that they have the sum of all of their privileges. During a session it
> might become necessary to choose a particular role, which as a
> consequence also limits the user to only the privileges in that
> particular role."
>
> Is this still true?

Yes.

> It doesn't make much sense to me as written; why
> would anyone want to limit their privileges, and why would "limiting"
> privileges be necessary to do something?

It rather diambiguates what permissions you have.

For instance if I have both student and instructor roles, one allows
me to view grades one doesn't, so am I allowed to view grades? Maybe,
I need to pick a specific role in this case.

--
guy@albertelli.com  LON-CAPA Developer  0-7-6-1-