[LON-CAPA-dev] glibc rpms

Martin Siegert lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 12:28:43 -0800

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 11:05:44AM -0500, Matthew Brian Hall wrote:

> Hello all.
>
> Scott ran into trouble today with the latest glibc packages from RedHat.
> It seemed to have messed up his sshd when he did it, although I'm not
> sure about the entire sequence of events.  I had to log in to his machine
> at the console and restart the daemon.
>
> So, doing this update over ssh is not recommended at this point - log in at the
> console, or if you must do it remotely, set up an 'at' command to restart the
> sshd before you do the install:
>
> echo '/etc/init.d/sshd restart;' | at now + 3 min
> rpm -Uvh glibc*;

This does not work either:

After you upgrade a shared library you must restart all programs that use
that library - particularly when you upgraded the shared library because
of a security flaw. Without restarting the programs you have not fixed
anything (the flawed code is still kept in memory). Since libc.so is
used by basically everything the only proper way to upgrade the C library
is:

rpm -Fvh glibc-2.2.5-43.i686.rpm
reboot

You probably want to combine this with upgrading your kernel to 2.4.18-27.7.x
Martin

Martin Siegert
Academic Computing Services                        phone: (604) 291-4691
Simon Fraser University                            fax:   (604) 291-4242
Burnaby, British Columbia                          email: siegert@sfu.ca
Canada  V5A 1S6