[LON-CAPA-dev] glibc rpms

Matthew Brian Hall lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 11:05:44 -0500 (EST)

Hello all.

Scott ran into trouble today with the latest glibc packages from RedHat.
It seemed to have messed up his sshd when he did it, although I'm not
sure about the entire sequence of events.  I had to log in to his machine
at the console and restart the daemon.

So, doing this update over ssh is not recommended at this point - log in at the
console, or if you must do it remotely, set up an 'at' command to restart the
sshd before you do the install:

echo '/etc/init.d/sshd restart;' | at now + 3 min
rpm -Uvh glibc*;

It would be nice to have a "daemon daemon" which would monitor the daemons on
a machine and restart them if needed.  But this may not have helped in this
case as, from what I saw on Scott's machine, sshd thought everything was
wonderful even though he was having problems logging in.

Matthew

Matthew Hall           LON-CAPA developer         hallmat3@msu.edu
123 North Kedzie Hall                    Michigan State University