[LON-CAPA-dev] Login Window in remote

Mark Lucas lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 12:40:27 -0400 (EDT)

Hi-

	I will stick this into bugzilla eventually if it warrants it.

	I've had a couple occurences of the 'login window in remote'
syndrome. The user logs in successfully, receives the Welcome screen,
but the remote contains another login window. We're running the latest
stable.

	One was a student last week - after about 24 hours it magically
went away. They had the same problem with another system downstairs in
their dorm.

	Today one of my colleagues had the problem. I was able to pound on
his browser a little bit. I have the following scenario:

- sickness happens under NS 4.79 browser (he's running linux). Happens for
   his normal account, his 'student-only' alter-ego, and my accounts well.
   Happens on both access servers and the library server.

- Does NOT happen if use the mozilla browser on the same box.

- Does not help if I delete all lonIDs files related to user.

- I have a couple of invalid cookie errors in /var/log/httpd/error.log,
but they do not seem to be for the time when the original problem cropped
up (I found 3 entries, and there were plenty more failures than that).

  Looking at loncapa_apache.conf and lonacc, it looks like the only way
this happens is if it gets all the way to the end of lonacc and marks the
resource FORBIDDEN.

	I gather this is probably cookie-related, but shouldn't that be
erased when the browser is restarted? (which it was several times)

	Any idea why this is happening (I realize there is the general
issue of not logging out properly, but shouldn't it fix itself with a
clean slate in lonIDs?) Any idea how we can detect this 'stuckedness' and
help get a browser 'unstuck'?

							Mark

Mark Lucas					email: lucasm@ohiou.edu
252D Clippinger Lab  				phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy             fax:   (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701