[LON-CAPA-dev] mysql - my head spinning

Scott Harrison lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 16:02:10 -0400

Dear Mark:

> 	The latest problem seems to be that I don't have 'mysql'
> installed. I do, but it is the old loncapa mysql package.

RedHat 6.2 does not operate properly with any known combination
of a "standard mysql rpm" + perl-mysql-modules.

This is why the old loncapa mysql package is the only software
setup you should expect to ever work with RedHat 6.2.

> 	I gather I need to pull over the standard mysql stuff.

Not for RedHat 6.2.

> 	Let me ask the following question - how painless is it to tar
> up the home directory, print out the pertinent configuration files (as per
> suggestions in the faq), and start fresh with 7.3?

Painfree (except for /etc/passwd and /etc/group issues as you mention below).

> 	If I restore things like the password files and home directories
> before doing an upgrade, should I be in okay shape?

Originally, many of the prior RH6.2 LON-CAPA servers operated with
non-shadow passwords.  RH7.3 will, when installed, by default work
with shadow passwords.

The worst case scenario would be having all of your Linux filesystem
users on oucapa2 being assigned new passwords.  Note that many
LON-CAPA users such as students are not filesystem users (and
not in /etc/passwd or /etc/group).

You should, however, be able to copy over information
from the /etc/passwd,/etc/group,/etc/shadow,/etc/gshadow
files onto your new system ------------ so long as you
pay attention to the shadow versus non-shadow issue.

For more information on shadow passwords, perhaps:
http://www.linuxworld.com/linuxworld/lw-2000-07/lw-07-shadowpasswords.html

Regards,
Scott