[LON-CAPA-dev] ipchains configuration

Martin Siegert lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 23 May 2002 10:37:53 -0700

Hi Guy,

On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 01:27:04PM -0400, Guy Albertelli II wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> > If not, which ports are needed for loncapa besides 80?
>
> Tcp Port 5663 (lonc/d connections)
>
> Tcp Port 1150 (My SFU ckid port) (only needs out connection to ckid.sfu.ca)

Thanks. I guess I should have known this ...

> > ssh: port 22 tcp from everywhere
> > ntp: port 123 udp from timeservers
> > http: port 80 tcp from everywhere
> > dns: port 53 tcp and udp from nameservers
> > nfs: all ports tcp and udp from nfs servers
> >
> > anything else?
> >
> > Thus would the following /etc/sysconfig/ipchains file break anything?
>
> Note that for Kernel version 2.4+ ipchains doesn't exist and iptables
> is the netfilter scheme.

Yes and no. When you configure the 2.4.x kernel you have the choice of
selecting ipchains compatability, which I always do. RH 7.2 seems to
do this as well, at least under RH7.2 you do set your firewall rules in
/etc/sysconfig/ipchains. Don't know about RH 7.3.

Martin