[LON-CAPA-dev] Re: Porting Lon-CAPA to current debian/ubuntu

Stuart Raeburn lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Sun, 28 Jun 2009 11:37:32 -0400

Hello,

I'm making progress towards a LON-CAPA installation for Debian/Ubuntu.

Although I have yet to complete this for Debian 5 on i386, I expect
you'll want to replace /home/httpd/lib/perl/tth.so after the install
with tth.so.i386.fedora9 included in
modules/TexConvert/tthperl/compiles, as that .so was built against
perl 5.10 (which is the perl version on Debian lenny).

In the meantime changes are needed to loncom/build/distprobe and
modules/TexConvert/tthperl/commands so that the install scripts can
determine the current distro and architecture (when run on
Debian/Ubuntu), needed if make build is to skip running make against
the missing tthfunc.c and ttmfunc.c source files.

1. Replace loncom/build/distprobe with this one:

wget -O distprobe
http://source.loncapa.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/loncom/build/distprobe?content-type=text%2Fplain

2. For modules/TexConvert/tthperl/commands, insert the following lines
between the current lines 2 and 3:

if [[ $arch == "unknown" ]];
then
     arch=`uname -m`
     if [[ $arch == i*86 ]];
     then
         arch="i386";
     fi
fi

3. For loncom/build/make build you'll need to have installed gcc,
swig, bison and flex so the script can create a capa.so,

4. For loncom/build/make install (run as root) you'll need to have
created a www user.

The preliminaries required on a RedHat/Fedora/Centos machine are
handled by running an install.pl script (e.g., downloaded from:
http://install.loncapa.org/versions/redhat/5Server/rhel5_install.tar).

I am in the process of modifying this to also support Debian/Ubuntu.

Earlier (incomplete) work on installation on ubuntu 6.06 LTS
(including a loncapa-prerequisites for LON-CAPA 2.5.X) can be found
here:

http://install.loncapa.org/msu/testing/ubuntu/

I am in the process of building loncapa-prerequisites_1.12_i386.deb,
which will install LON-CAPA's dependencies (predominantly perl modules
provided as .deb packages), for ubuntu 6.06, ubuntu 8.04, and Debian
5.0 (Lenny).

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA group