[LON-CAPA-dev] Draft of 2.7.1 release announcement
Mon, 22 Sep 2008 19:54:52 -0400
This is a draft of the release announcement for 2.7.1.
Let me know if you see anything that doesn't seem right.
MSU LON-CAPA group
New Version 2.7.1 Released
This is primarily a bug fix release for version 2.7.0
It is highly recommended to update 2.7.0 installations with 2.7.1
To use this release you need to have version 1-12 of LONCAPA-prerequisites
If you are upgrading directly from 2.6.3 or earlier, the following
applies to you:
One of the changes for 2.7 affects scantronformat.tab. After you have
2.7.1 on the primary library server in your domain, log-in,
select the Domain Coordinator role, and go to "Domain Configuration".
Check the box for "Scantron format file", click "Go", and if you currently
use a customized scantronformat.tab file it will be copied (behind the scenes)
from its current location to a new location where it will be
available for selection whenever scantron grading is used in a course
in your domain.
Changes from 2.7.0
Bug fixes for 2.7.0-specific bugs
- Dynamically generated plots are rendered again where a value has
been included for the minorfreq in the ytics tag.
- Resources in a folder are available again for selection when
printing the contents of a folder in Construction Space.
- Generation of printouts works again for vector problems for which
multiple answers are required, but some have not been submitted.
- Domain Coordinators can again select co-author roles assigned to
them in other domains.
- Spaces are no longer removed from submissions to stringresponse
problems prior to grading.
- Stringresponse problems without a type (cs, ci, mc or re) set are
again graded correctly in cases where the first or second character in
the submitted string is a number.
- A list of accessible portfolio files can again be reached from a
user's personal web page ("aboutme" page).
Bug fixes for other general bugs
- Complete breadcrumb trail now provided to students viewing
Supplemental Documents, thereby allowing access to top level items,
once items deeper in the hierarchy have been viewed.
- Pasting an item from Supplemental Documents to Main Documents no
longer results in artifacts from HTML tags in the item title.
- More comprehensive format checking used for usernames of proposed
collaborators in problems allowing submission by teams of students.
- Parameter Helper and Slot Manager now include current time zone when
- Testbank importer in Construction space now displays an error
message (including type of file uploaded) if the file was not plain
text, RTF or HTML.
- Problems set to type "Practice" are available for selection when
printing "just" problems from a folder.
- Assembly of e-mail addresses for users without permanent e-mail
addresses now possible for users with local authentication in
broadcast e-mail function available to Domain Coordinators.
- Migration from an overloaded server to a server listed in spare.tab
now supported where the destination server uses SSL, if https has been
included as an additional entry in the dns_hosts.tab for that server
(send updates to email@example.com).
- Access to submissions for problems with encrypted URLs from links in
the course assessment progress chart (CHRT) now works for TAs.
- Display of problems with encrypted URLs now works for TAs when using
"View" links available for some items in "course assessment
- "Edit Answer" button used to open a pop-up DragMath, JME Editor, or
Chemical reaction Editor pop-up window replaced with a pencil icon to
the right of the text box used to enter the answer.
- A new parameter is provided to suppress the availability of the
DragMath WYSIWYG Math Editor (default is for it to be available) for
Math response and Formula response items.
- Access control based on IP address extended to other resources in a
course besides problems.
- Algebra tag can include a display attribute to dictate which math
rendering is to be used (tth, jsMath, mimetex).
- Disposition of events in the calendar display is now consistent with
current time zone (displayed in Calendar header line).
- Instructional staff can generate printouts from the entire course
for selected people.
- Launch Remote control link removed from inline navigation menu to
reduce congestion. (All users will now need to visit User Preferences
to launch the remote control).
To install this update:
1) You will need to be running Fedora Core 6, 7, 8, or 9, RHEL (AS|ES) 4 or 5,
SUSE 10.1 10.2 or 10.3, SLES 9 or 10, CentOS 5, Scientific Linux 5
(Fedora Core 5 should continue to work but is deprecated.)
2) Update to the latest LONCAPA-prerequisites (1-12)
(skip if upgrading from 2.7.0)
(b) RedHat Enterprise 4
up2date -u LONCAPA-prerequisites
Note: LONCAPA-prerequisites for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 includes
a dependency on perl-libxml-enno-1.03. If you already have perl-libxml-enno
iinstalled on your system it will be version 1.02. If the update to
LONCAPA-prerequsites 1-12 fails to update perl-libxml-enno to 1.03,
you should update that package directly:
up2date -u perl-libxml-enno
(c) Red Hat 5/Centos 5/Scientific Linux 5
Use yast-> Installation Source to refresh the LON-CAPA repository
Use yast->Software Management->Search to update LONCAPA-prerequisites (to
For SLES9, use yast->Software Management->Search to also update latex-ucs
(to version 20041017-31) after refreshing the LON-CAPA repository.
On all distributions, it is recommended that you check that you have the
correct versions of LONCAPA-prequisites installed before proceeding.
rpm -q LONCAPA-prequisites
(where X is a distro identifier e.g., fc7.lc)
If you are using Red Hat 4, also check that you have
perl-libxml-enno version 1.03
rpm -q perl-libxml-enno
3) Download the new LON-CAPA tarball from
and untar it
tar xzvf loncapa-2.7.1.tar.gz
4) stop the LON-CAPA system services
5) stop the webserver:
SUSE 10.1/SLES 10:
6) Run the UPDATE script as root
7) restart the LON-CAPA system services
8) restart the webserver:
SUSE 10.1,2/SLES 10:
1) Many questions are answered at http://help.lon-capa.org
2) Defects reports, and enhancements requests can be entered at
3) Mailing lists can be joined and left at http://mail.lon-capa.org
MSU LON-CAPA group