[LON-CAPA-dev] RFC: XML for <imageresponse> rewrite

Guy Albertelli II lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:54:55 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Jim,

> (1)  I have been writing several graphical interpretation problems with
> gnuplot and have noticed that students with poor math skills -- maybe
> 90% of my students -- really struggle with anything graphical.  Just to
> pick points on a line that would be suitable for a linear regression
> proved to be a disaster.  I found out in the process that 90% of
> students in the 2nd semester chemistry lab did not know what an
> inflection point was.
> That raises this question.  Would there be a way to tie the
> vector/connector to a dynamically generated gnuplot?

You can do this today.

<imageresponse max="1">
  <foilgroup>
    <foil name="foil1">
      <image>
        <gnuplot>
        </gnuplot>
      </image>
      <text>Click on the inflection</text>
      <rectangle>$coords of the inflection</rectangle>
    </foil>
  </foilgroup>
</imageresponse>

I belive ed might have an example around somewhere.

> (2) My other concern would there be a marker showing the students
> vectors/connectors before submitting and if the student sees something
> that is wrong, will there be a way of reseting and starting over or undoing?

I'm explicitly avoiding discussing the student interface right now.

--
guy@albertelli.com   0-7-2-1-27,137