[LON-CAPA-dev] RFC: XML for <imageresponse> rewrite

Jim Maxka lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 08:02:21 -0700

Hello -- I have been scanning the discussion and have a couple of things
to add.
(1)  I have been writing several graphical interpretation problems with
gnuplot and have noticed that students with poor math skills -- maybe
90% of my students -- really struggle with anything graphical.  Just to
pick points on a line that would be suitable for a linear regression
proved to be a disaster.  I found out in the process that 90% of
students in the 2nd semester chemistry lab did not know what an
inflection point was.
That raises this question.  Would there be a way to tie the
vector/connector to a dynamically generated gnuplot?
(2) My other concern would there be a marker showing the students
vectors/connectors before submitting and if the student sees something
that is wrong, will there be a way of reseting and starting over or undoing?
--jim