[LON-CAPA-dev] Re: [LON-CAPA-users] Mac and JME

Jim Maxka lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Thu, 26 May 2005 13:27:23 -0700

Hi Guy -- Had to skip this one yesterday.  I know you are near the code
lockdown.  We need to do some things with the <organicresponse>
Where is the best way to do this discussion.  On htis list or as a bug.
(1) organicresponse now requires answers in jme strings.  This is new
and most of my questions still do not have answers.  Do we want to
require that the question has answers before publishing.  If so, I am
screwed.
To undo your change, I check to see if there is an answer.  If not, I
give a screen that says that you have to use the jme editor to see your
last answer. The easiest way to fix this is to use a system that writes
structures from smiles strings.  I have a lot of candidates for this,
but I am not totally convinced of the best way to go.
(2)  There should be the same type of graphical analysis for the pgrade
submissions.  Not many of the future users are going to be able to read
smiles and they will not know what the hell the students are saying. We
are going to have to do something here to adopt users.
(3) When there is more than one <organicresponse> on a page, the
students complain that weird things happen.  I told you a year ago that
their previous answers sometimes don't show up.  It is this case and
when the system is overloaded, the previous answer string does not pass
properly.
(4)  Students have asked for a button that lets them reload a previous
answer.  The molecular editor is more tedious than other answer entries
and is an issue. Scenario goes like this:  They have something close but
not exact.  They go way off on the next try and then want to recover the
previous structure, but have to start from scratch.
(5)  Here is a tough one.  Students complain that if they don't click
submit, their answer disappears when they log out or their browser
closes, because it is not written to LonCapa -- just a text field in the
form.  This is really about having more than one <organicresponse> in
the <problem>.  They solve one, but can't tell how to do the next one
and don't want to submit, but then lose the first one.  I have looked at
this, but it requires a whole new stored entry.
(6)  There is the functional group template function. The one you refer
to as

http://www.molinspiration.com/cgi-bin/properties

In the second course, the students really like it.
It works with windows, I don't know other OS.  We looked at it with Mac
yesterday, but I didn't test whether it inserts.  It is not needed.
Just a shortcut.

Please refer me to the most resonable process for these points.  --jim