[LON-CAPA-dev] loncom /automation batchcreatecourse.pm

Stuart Peter Raeburn lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 04 Mar 2005 17:16:35 -0500

Hon Kie,

First, you should get the latest version of
loncom/automation/batchcreatecourse.pm (1.3 - recently committed).  You will
also need a copy of Autocreate.pl, which you should be store in
/home/httpd/perl, and set to be owned by (and executable by) www.

This can be retrieved from
http://zaphod.lite.msu.edu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/loncom/automation/Autocreate.p
l?rev=1.1;content-type=text%2Fplain

You will also need lonnet.pm v. 1.602 (or later) if you want to run batch
course creation using Autocreate.pl. Note: this update affects other code
(e.g., londocs.pm, londefdef.pm, lonuploadrep.pm, lonrep.pm -- see my commit
to CVS on 3/2 for details).  Furthermore, the changes in this particular
commit may be partly reversed in future (discussions are currently ongoing
with Guy).

The plan is to support batch course creation in two modes.
(a) A DC uploads an XML file containing course descriptions via a web-based
GUI, and creates the courses.  This will most likely be a modified version
of the existing /adm/createcourse interface.

or

(b) A course request form (which includes authentication and authorization)
generates the XML files containing course descriptions.  Cron then
periodically runs Autocreate.pl to process XML files generated by the
request form.  These files should have been stored in:
/home/httpd/perl/tmp/addcourse/$dom/pending

(where $dom is the course domain, e.g., fsu).

Autocreate.pl takes two arguments: course domain, and username:domain of DC,
and should be run by www.  A suitable cron entry in /etc/cron.d/loncapa
would be:

30 * * * *    www    /home/httpd/perl/Autocreate.pl fsu hkng:fsu

For a multi-domain library server you could have multiple entries (one per
domain).

In both (a) and (b) the XML files that contain the course descriptions
should follow the format described in loncom/automation/batchcreatecourse.pm

The location of the XML course description files will be as follows

/home/httpd/perl/tmp/addcourse/$dom/web/$udom_$uname - files uploaded by DC
$user

/home/httpd/perl/tmp/addcourse/$dom/auto/pending  - files generated by
request form

where $dom is the domain where the course will exist, e.g., fsu, and $uname
and $udom are the username and domain of the requesting Domain Coordinator.
(e.g., fsu_hkng).

In addition you should create a directory (owned by www):
/home/httpd/perl/tmp/addcourse/$dom/auto/processed

where XML files in the pending directory will be moved after they have been
processed by Autocreate.pl

Although loncreatecourse.pm has not been modified to support mode (a), a
minimal module to run course creation from the web would be:
/home/httpd/lib/perl/Apache/batchcreate.pm:

   package Apache::batchcreate;
   use strict;
   use lib '/home/httpd/lib/perl';
   use LONCAPA::batchcreatecourse;
   use Apache::Constants qw(:common);
   use Apache::lonnet;
   use Apache::loncommon

# ================================================================= Handler
sub handler {
   my $r = shift;

   if ($r->header_only) {
      &Apache::loncommon::content_type($r,'text/html');
      $r->send_http_header;
      return OK;
   }

   &Apache::loncommon::content_type($r,'text/html');
   $r->send_http_header;

   if (&Apache::lonnet::allowed('ccc',$ENV{'request.role.domain'})) {
       my @requests = readdir($Apache:: # Your array of filenames of course
description XML files
       my %courseids = ();

       my ($output,$logmsg) =
&LONCAPA::batchcreatecourse::create_courses(\@requests,\%courseids,'web',$EN
V{'request.role.domain'},$ENV{'user.name'});

       foreach (keys %courseids) {
           $r->print("course created was $_ <br />");
       }
       $r->print($output);
       $r->print("<br />messages were $logmsg");
   }
   return OK;
}

1;

This could be activated using the following addition to
/etc/httpd/conf/loncapa_apache.conf:

<Location /adm/batchcreate>
PerlAccessHandler       Apache::lonacc
SetHandler perl-script