[LON-CAPA-dev] Searching

Stuart Peter Raeburn lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:53:04 -0400

Hi Robley,

The currently active role you have selected should not make a difference to
the results of a search. The determinant of whether searching is allowed is
simply that the "Browse Resources" privilege applies to your currently
selected role.  In the case of "no role" selected, the privileges that apply
will be "cumulative" privileges.  In such a case if the role is an advanced
role, then you will have the ability to browse resources, so you could carry
out a search.  Note, however, that with no role selected the SRCH button
does not appear, although the search page can be displayed by entering the

Different numbers of results are being displayed for the same search (with
no change in role) because in some instances the search utility does not
appear to be checking the complete list of possible domains.  For example,
for the simple search on the word "algebra" when logged into
s10.lite.msu.edu, total numbers of results returned varied as follows:

390 (search stops after domain fsuK12 and before domain msu)
954 (search stops after domain msul1 and before domain ohiou)
1400 (search stops after domain ohiou and before domain physnet)
1757 (search stops after domain physnet and before domain snt)
2675 search explores all domains.

It appears that the search is stopping prematurely at different points as it
progresses through the alphabetized list of domains in the cluster.  I will
be examining the lonsearchcat.pm code to investigate this problem further.

Stuart Raeburn
MSU LON-CAPA development/support