[LON-CAPA-dev] Re: SuSE installation

Martin Siegert lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:01:46 -0700

Hi,

Just an update:
I succeeded to compile a bunch of rpms for SuSE-9.1:

apache-1.3.28-76.i586.rpm
apache-devel-1.3.28-76.i586.rpm
apache-doc-1.3.28-76.i586.rpm
apache-example-pages-1.3.28-76.i586.rpm
gnuplot-4.0.0-1.i586.rpm
krb5-devel-1.3.4-8.i586.rpm
mod_perl-1.28-102.i586.rpm
perl-Authen-Krb4-1.1-2.i586.rpm
perl-Authen-Krb5-1.3-2.i586.rpm
perl-Authen-PAM-0.14-1.i586.rpm
perl-Crypt-IDEA-1.02-1.i586.rpm
perl-GD-Barcode-1.15-1.i586.rpm
perl-HTML-Parser-3.35-32.i586.rpm
perl-Math-Cephes-0.42-1.i586.rpm
perl-Math-FFT-0.25-1.i586.rpm
perl-Math-Random-0.67-1.i586.rpm
perl-Net-PH-2.21-1.i586.rpm
perl-OLE-Storage_Lite-0.13-1.i586.rpm
perl-Pod-POM-0.15-1.i586.rpm
perl-Safe-Hole-0.10-1.i586.rpm
perl-String-Similarity-1-1.i586.rpm
perl-Text-Aspell-0.04-1.i586.rpm
perl-Text-Query-0.07-1.i586.rpm

Of these the krb5-devel package is not required (and should not be installed).
It is required to build the perl-Authen-Krb4 and perl-Authen-Krb5 packages,
which are by far the biggest obstacle for running LON-CAPA on a SuSE-9.1
system: SuSE uses the heimdal kerberos implementation without krb4 support
compiled in. For that reason the perl-Authen-Krb4 module does not compile.
The bigger problem, however, is the perl-Authen-Krb5: the author of that
module decided not to use the published krb5 API of the kerberos library,
but use internal functions of the MIT implementation (arrghhh). Thus,
there is no hope to compile this on a native SuSE-9.1 box. I finally
succeeded by building the krb5-devel package (from the Fedora 2 src.rpm),
which includes only the krb5 header files and static libraries. This then
was used to compile the perl-Authen-Krb4 and perl-Authen-Krb5 packages.
Therefore, there is no dependency on the krb5-devel package.

Building all the other rpm packages is more or less trivial.

I will now try to install LON-CAPA-1.2 on this machine. Stay tuned.

Cheers,
Martin

--
Martin Siegert