[LON-CAPA-dev] Re: SuSE installation

Martin Siegert lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 20:50:50 -0700

On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 03:49:55PM -0400, Guy Albertelli II wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> > what has to be done to remove the perl-Authen-Krb4 requirement?
> > perl-Authen-Krb4 requires krb4 libraries to be present (at least
> > on the machine on which you build the package). However, krb4 is
> > no longer supported under SuSE-9.1 (they use heimdal for krb5).
> > Thus, I have to get rid of all references to krb4.
>
> All of the krb5 libraries I have seen have a krb4 backward
> compatability module.
>
> Usually
>
> headers in
> /usr/include/kerbersIV/
>
> libraries in
> /usr/lib/

No. The heimdal krb5 implementation is krb5 only. That means that you would
have to install an independent krb4 implementation, which exists
(http://www.pdc.kth.se/kth-krb), but compiling it took me a full day.
And it is still not clear to me whether this would actually work.
Anyway, I compiled a krb4-lib package for SuSE-9.1 which I then can
use to compile perl-Authen-Krb4. However the perl-Authen-Krb4 rpm now
has a dependency on the krb4-lib rpm. Thus, everybody who would want
to install LONCAPA on SuSE-9.1 would have to install the krb4-lib rpm
even if they do not use krb4.

Alternatively, one could rebuild the heimdal rpm packages with krb4
support. That would mean fiddling around with basic
system libraries, which I really like to avoid: if there are security
holes in the krb4 backward compatibility code (and that's were the
kerberos bugs usually are!) I would have to patch those holes myself,
if I would find out about those holes in the first place.

> But if you want to eliminate it, commenting out the 'use Authen::Krb4'
> atop lond will make things work for the time being.

That seems to be the way to go. At least this will work.

Cheers,
Martin