[LON-CAPA-dev] Re: SuSE installation

Martin Siegert lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 13:02:14 -0700

Hi Matthew:

On Wed, Sep 01, 2004 at 09:30:46AM -0400, Matthew Brian Hall wrote:
> Hi Martin
>
> I can answer a few of your questions.  I've updated
> http://install.loncapa.org/resources/fedora/ with a few packages -
>
> apache-1.3.27-3.src.rpm
> gnuplot-4.0.0-1.src.rpm
> mod_perl-1.26-5.src.rpm

Thanks, but I do not have read permission for the gnuplot-4.0.0-1.src.rpm
file :-(

And one more question: would it be possible to get a src.rpm for the
LONCAPA-prerequisites rpm for Fedora? I'd like to rbuild it for SuSE.

> >This means that I better build something like apache-1.3.28 and
> >mod_perl-1.28 myself? (should not be difficult: I would just rebuild
> >the SuSE-9.0 rpms - SuSE-9.0 still has apache-1 support).
>
> That sounds like the way to go.

And indeed proved to be easy.

> >SuSE-9.1 has perl-HTML-Parser-3.35, SuSE-9.0 has perl-HTML-Parser-3.28.
> >Would either of the two work or should I rebuild your
> >perl-HTML-Parser-3.36-2.loncapa?
>
> I've placed the patch (hparser_patch) that's required in the URL above.

That worked beautifully - I just rebuilt the SuSE perl-HTML-Parser-3.35
rpm with that patch.

> >I guess I do not need perl-Authen-Krb4, if I do not use kerberos?
>
> Guy can answer this, but without modifying the LONCAPA sources I'd imagine
> you'll need the package installed.  We had issues with our compiled version
> of Authen::Krb4 (segfaulting after 2 authentications) that we avoided by
> using a statically linked package.
>
> >>We also suggest gnuplot 4.0 since with that we move away from needing
> >>gif support in GD or anywhere else.
> >
> >Did you build gnuplot-4.0 from source or do you have a rpm for that
> >as well?
>
> We have an rpm for it and the src rpm, at the URL listed above.  I
> attempted to rebuild it for 7.3 but wasn't successful.  I was able to
> rebuild it for Fedora.
>
> Additionally, we do patch, compile, and install (in /usr/local/sbin) pwauth
> on every machine (the install.pl script in our fedora_install tarball does
> this).  I need to make this part of the rpm installation process but I
> haven't had time lately to work on it.
>
> >>The rest of the CPAN modules rpms are builds straight from CPAN.
> >
> >One more question: Is there a way to completely uninstall loncapa from a
> >machine? I'd like to start from scratch once more ...
>
> Everything lives in /home/httpd, /etc/httpd/conf/, /usr/local/loncapa, and
> /usr/local/sbin/.  Removing the contents of those directories (after
> removing the apache package) should suffice to remove loncapa.
>
> Let me know if you need more info or have any questions.  If you modify
> things for the SUSE install we'd like to know about it.

I fully intend to do that - it'll make my live easier for future upgrades :-)
Right now I simply changed distprobe to set $dist to fedora2 when it
finds 9.1 in /etc/SuSE-release. That's a band-aid solution at best.
Thus, it would be helpful to now which files would have to be changed
so that distprobe could return something like suse9.1 (for simplicity
right now I still want to treat it like fedora2 and look for differences
later [like httpd.conf in /etc/httpd instead of /etc/httpd/conf]).
I search for files that contain the the string 'fedora', but only found
files that deal with CHECKRPMS (which I ignore for now, but basically
I just have to replace "yum" with "you"). I also grep'd for "DIST", but
could not quite figure out whether that is used anywhere other than
loncom/build/Makefile. Can you enlighten me?

Cheers,
Martin