[LON-CAPA-dev] aspell packages

Matthew Brian Hall lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Fri, 23 Jul 2004 18:36:37 -0400

Hi.

I've built packages for aspell, the various languages, and the CPAN module
Text::Aspell.

Fedora users should get the needed files from our yum repository.  Setting
up your yum.conf file is described in
http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-dev/2004-July/001258.html

Executing (once your yum.conf file is configured):

yum install perl-Text-Aspell

will take care of the installation.  The aspell packages may already be
installed on your system.  Running "yum install aspell" should take care of
things.  If you need a language other than "en" installed, search for them
with "yum search aspell" and then choose one to install from the list.

Redhat 7.3 users should get the new systemperl (version 3.12) and the aspell
packages from from http://install.loncapa.org/resources/ and go through the
usual abuse of rpm:

rpm -e `rpm -q -a | grep systemperl`
rpm --install --force --nodeps LON-CAPA-systemperl-3.11-rh7.i386.rpm

and install the aspell packages with something like:

rpm -Uvh aspell*rpm

The following text is a reminder to myself about what I had to do to get
aspell to compile on Redhat 7.3:

The aspell 0.50 source package available for Fedora will compile on Redhat
7.3 but it will not install (it will list as dependencies prior versions of
the libraries it provides itself [sigh]).  Removing the patches from the
aspell.spec file fixes this behaviour, although I'm not sure it's necessary
to remove both patches.  Installation of aspell-devel is required for
compilation of the CPAN module Text::Aspell.  I was unable to get the Fedora
source package of aspell to compile on Fedora but pre-packaged versions of
aspell-devel are available via various yum repositories so I was able to
compile Text::Aspell without trouble once I gave up trying to compile aspell
itself.

Matthew Hall           hallmat3@msu.edu
LON-CAPA developer
Michigan State University