[LON-CAPA-dev] Default language configuration

Gerd Kortemeyer lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 13:34:03 -0500

Hi Ricardo,

On Nov 30, 2003, at 12:14 AM, Ricardo Luis Kulzer wrote:

> However, if we want all new users working in another language
> different from the English (Portuguese, for example), the only way is
> to instruct all the user to change the personal preferences, which
> some times can be complicated if the students don't know a little of
> English and want work only in their native language .
> I think would be interesting to insert a mechanism that allows the
> administrator set the language of the system in the installation (I
> think it could be asked in the UPDATE script).

Actually, there is such a place, namely inside of
/home/httpd/lonTabs/domain.tab - here for every domain the default
language setting is specified.

Here's an example:

fsu:Florida State University:::en-US:Tallahassee, FL:-84.28:30.438
msu:Michigan State University:krb4:MSU.EDU:en-US:East Lansing,
MI:-84.483:42.737
nau:Northern Arizona University:::en-US:Flagstaff, AZ:-111.65:35.198
ohiou:Ohio University:krb5:oak_cell:en-US:Athens, OH:-82.1:39.329
umich:University of Michigan:::en-US:Ann Arbor, MI:-83.745:42.283

First entry is domain shorthand, next one is full domain name, next one
is default authentication mechanism, next one argument to default
authentication mechanism, and then comes the default language - for
your domain it should be "pt" (since I do not think we defined
"pt-BR"). Next is city, then come geo-coordinates.

- Gerd.