[LON-CAPA-dev] Default language configuration

Ricardo Luis Kulzer lon-capa-dev@mail.lon-capa.org
Sun, 30 Nov 2003 02:14:51 -0300

  I would like to give you a suggestion in the internationalization topic.

In the current version (1.0.99), the default language for each new user
of the system (authors, students, etc) is English, and the style of the
Remote Control is like this:
http://143.106.50.70/~ricardol/loncapa/Old_Remote_Control.jpg (see the
time and date in the display, marked with a red circle).

The only way of change the default language of a new user is through the
personal preferences window, accessed through the remote control.
Changing the default language, the user will also have a new style of
the Remote Control, like this:
http://143.106.50.70/~ricardol/loncapa/New_Remote_Control.jpg

However, if we want all new users working in another language different
from the English (Portuguese, for example), the only way is to instruct
all the user to change the personal preferences, which some times can be
complicated if the students don't know a little of English and want work
only in their native language .

I think would be interesting to insert a mechanism that allows the
administrator set the language of the system in the installation (I
think it could be asked in the UPDATE script). So, in Japan for example,
when the administrator install the LON-CAPA system, he selects the
Japanese language as default. So each new user (author, student, etc)
will already have the Japanese as default language automatically. In the
same way, here in Brazil the administrator will select the Portuguese as
the default language for all the users of the LON-CAPA.

Thanks,

Ricardo L. Kulzer