[LON-CAPA-admin] error 443

Raeburn, Stuart raeburn at msu.edu
Sun May 31 18:08:00 EDT 2020

Hello hk,

See: mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-admin/2020-May/003425.html
which I posted earlier today.

I checked the SSL certificate chain for: loncapa10.fsu.edu by pointing a web browser at:  whatsmychaincert.com/?loncapa10.fsu.edu

and it reported:

"loncapa10.fsu.edu has a trusted chain containing an expired certificate. This chain will work with modern web browsers but may fail with older clients".

> While students can login etc, but when I try to do some manual grading,
> the following error occurs

In this case, internal web requests (which use LWP) are failing because of the expired AddTrust External CA Root certificate.  Looking at the SSL certificate for loncapa10.fsu.edu, it appears it is issued by Sectigo (not InCommon), but it lists USERTrust as the CA Root, so, as is the case for certificates from InCommon, certificates from Sectigo are also impacted by the expiry of the AddTrust CA Root certificate.

If you modify the certificate chain to remove the expired AddTrust CA Root certificate and reload Apache that will fix things.

See: support.sectigo.com/Com_KnowledgeDetailPage?Id=kA03l00000117LT

Other options:

1. Install SSL certificates from letsencrypt.org (using the certbot tool).

or

2. As a temporary workaround you could disable hostname verification by LWP when using SSL by setting: $ENV{PERL_LWP_SSL_VERIFY_HOSTNAME} = 0;
(e.g., in /etc/environment)

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium