[LON-CAPA-admin] editing problems on the server

Moore, Nathan T nmoore at winona.edu
Mon Jan 7 21:10:12 EST 2019

Thanks!

--- --- --- ---
Nathan Moore, PhD
Physics, Winona State University

-----Original Message-----
From: LON-CAPA-admin <lon-capa-admin-bounces at mail.lon-capa.org> On Behalf Of Raeburn, Stuart
Sent: Monday, January 7, 2019 12:36 PM
To: list about administration and system updating <lon-capa-admin at mail.lon-capa.org>
Subject: Re: [LON-CAPA-admin] editing problems on the server

Nathan,

I would *not* edit files in res/winona/NMoore directly.

I do not see a good reason not to allow LON-CAPA's "Publish" action to take care of copying resources from priv/winona/NMoore/ to res/winona/NMoore, and to handle versioning, to insert missing id attributes, to send update notifications to nodes currently subscribed to a previously published resource in the winona domain (when you republish it after making changes), etc.

If you prefer to use some editor other than your web browser when authoring content, you could use webDAV.  See section 18 "WebDAV access to Authoring Space" on p. 137 of the Authoring Manual (loncapa.winona.edu/adm/help/author.manual.pdf).

If you are using Ubuntu, and want to use webDAV, you need to have enabled mod_dav using:

sudo a2enmod dav
sudo a2enmod dav_fs

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium