[LON-CAPA-admin] SSL setup

Lars ljensen at tmcc.edu
Tue Aug 21 11:51:19 EDT 2018

Hi Everyone,

We just configured our server for https, and things seems to be
working well, except for some issues related to the generation of the
certificate. We're using Letsencrypts free certificates, generated by
certbot.

First, we had an issue generating the initial certificate, apparently
because the loncapa httpd.conf file does not include a VirtualHost
configuration. So I tricked certbot and included a
<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerAdmin admin at example.com
    ServerName myserver.myschool.edu
    ServerAlias myserver.myschool.edu
    DocumentRoot /home/httpd/html
</VirtualHost>
sequence in httpd.conf. That worked and certbot generated the
certificate, and then I removed the VirtualHost entry again from
httpd.comf.

However, the certificate is only valid for 89 days, and needs to be
updated at regular intervals because of this, so I created a certbot
renew entry in my crontab. However, when crontab runs it, we get the
same error that  httpd.conf doesn't have a virtualhost entry, so no
new certificate is generated

How can I fix this? Is it OK to leave the VirtualHost sequence above
permanently in httpd.conf?

Thanks,
Lars.

*Public Records Notice:* In accordance with Nevada Revised Statutes
(NRS) Chapter 239, this email and responses, unless otherwise made
confidential by law, may be subject to the Nevada Public Records laws and
may be disclosed to the public upon request.