[LON-CAPA-admin] Sudden Not open to be viewed

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Sat Mar 18 20:18:27 EDT 2017

Lee,

> Has anyone encountered this before?

I have not seen it.

> The issue appears to resolve after around ten minutes, although it
> is difficult to tell as some students didn't keep trying to access
> the resource.  This leads me to think something may be amiss with
> memcached.

The message: "Not open to be viewed  The problem will be open on an
unknown date" will be displayed for a LON-CAPA problem if the open
date which lonhomework::check_access() retrieves via a call to &EXT()
in lonnet.pm is an empty string.

If you have a known time/date when this issue has occurred for a
student on a particular server then you could look in the Apache
access logs for requests for this same resource from around the same
time by other students in the same course with sessions on the same
server, and compare the number of bytes returned for each of the
requests.

I would expect small differences because of different student names
and usernames included in the HTML output, but they should all be
similar, if all students were receiving "Not open to be viewed" until
the unexpired cache of  parameter values had reached its 10 minute
lifetime, and a new call to lonnet::dump() was made to retrieve the
resourcedata for the course, and then to cache that in memcache with a
key: courseres%3aCID%3aDOM(where CID is the courseID (e.g.,
19727ade67f42eauiucl1) and DOM is domain (uiuc).

There is a script available from:

http://source.loncapa.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/loncom/debugging_tools/memcached_dump.pl?rev=1.1;content-type=text/plain

which can be downloaded and run as user www to display what is
currently cached in memcache on a particular server.  That script was
posted to this list -- see the thread:
http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-admin/2015-February/003005.html --
for related discussion about memcache.

You might add that script to /home/httpd/perl/debug/, set it to be
owned by www:www and change permissions to make to executable.

If analysis of the Apache logs supports the idea that cached data was
the cause of the problem, then you might modify memcached_dump.pl to
only report cached opendates for courses where this issue is seen, and
run the script (as www) from cron every five minutes or so to document
what opendate values are being cached.

The script could also be run as-is and the output piped to grep to
extract opendate parameter values in s apecific course, e.g.,

/home/httpd/perl/debug/memcached_dump.pl -u  |grep
'msu_32813041047878598msul1' |grep "opendate'"

would find all cached opendate values in the
msu_32813041047878598msul1 course (num: 32813041047878598msul1;
domain: msu).

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium