[LON-CAPA-admin] Changing to new server

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Fri Aug 18 08:11:01 EDT 2017

Paul,

> We need to change to a new server.

Yes, a LON-CAPA node requires a static IP to operate correctly within
the cross-institutional LON-CAPA network.

Furthermore, reverse DNS look-up for your public-facing IP address
must return the hostname that is recorded for your particular LON-CAPA
node in the authoritative cluster tables available from Academic
Consortium servers at MSU, UIUC, and SFU (e.g.,
https://s10.lite.msu.edu/adm/dns/hosts ), and forward DNS for that
hostname must return the public-facing IP address.

Ports 80 and 443 must be open to inbound traffic on the LON-CAPA node
from anywhere.

Port 5663 must be open to inbound traffic from IP addresses belonging
to other nodes in the LON-CAPA network.  Each LON-CAPA server/VM
itself will use iptables to control access to port 5663 (and rules are
updated nightly automatically in response to changes in cluster
membership).

Individual institutions may have also implemented firewall policies
for their network border, whereby they whitelist specific IP addresses
for incoming requests to port 5663, and block all others.  If that is
the case then the institution will need to also implement a procedure
for updating their whitelists of allowed IP addresses, when new nodes
are added to the LON-CAPA network, or (the rare instance) when an
existing node changes IP address.

For example, IT Security at Michigan State University (MSU) decided to
implement whitelisting at the network border for access to port 5663
on LON-CAPA nodes at MSU at the end of 2016.  As a result, if a new
LON-CAPA domain needs access to content created by authors in the msu
domain, I send a change request to the MSU Border Firewall team at
least 48 hours ahead of the IP change, so the addresses whitelisted at
MSU can be updated ahead of the change at the (non-MSU) LON-CAPA node
itself.

The IP address (and, optionally the hostname) of a LON-CAPA node can
be changed when changing the location of a particular LON-CAPA
server/VM, e.g., when moving from a physical location within an
academic department, (and on one subnet within an institution), to a
different physical location within a central IT datacenter location
(and on a different subnet within an institution).  Moving to a
virtual machine in the cloud, would be an extension of that.

The next LON-CAPA release -- 2.12 -- has some additional options for
managing connectivity from other domains in the network including:

(a) More granularity in the use of SSL certificates signed by the
LON-CAPA certificate authority used to create a secure tunnel for
exchange of an encryption key between nodes, when a LON-CAPA
connection is being established between them.

(b) Use of client Apache/SSL certificates signed by the LON-CAPA
certificate authority when a node requests the raw XML of a published
LON-CAPA resource from another node.

(c) More granularity for a domain in choosing which types of LON-CAPA
actions are supported for the domain's users on other nodes, and which
types of LON-CAPA actions are supported on a domain's own nodes by
users from other nodes.  This builds on the session hosting
configuration options first added to LON-CAPA 2.10.

A motivation for these additional options is to permit individual
domains to tailor their domain configurations for compliance with
institutional policies on risk management.  One of the factors that a
domain might consider in that assessment is whether a remote domain's
nodes are hosted at the (remote) institution, or are hosted by a third
party in the cloud.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium