[LON-CAPA-admin] LON-CAPA Performance Monitoring

Lucas, Mark lucasm at ohio.edu
Mon Sep 12 10:31:10 EDT 2016

I need some advice.

Over the next half year I will be transitioning our LON-CAPA servers over to the
Ohio University IT group. They will be placing the servers on new hardware,
presumably virtual machines.

I’ve been fortunate until now. I keep multiple generations of machine running,
which means I have a decent number of access servers to take up the slack
at peak times. They will presumably be looking to try to minimize the resources
they need to apply to LON-CAPA, so I foresee an issue being some form of
metric at peak times that can be used to negotiate hardware needs.

Does anyone have advice on such a metric and what might be considered
a threshold that suggests poor performance?
I’m presuming something like page response time would be best.
Does anyone do any monitoring of such a parameter?

Thanks,
Mark

Mark Lucas 								email: lucasm at ohiou.edu
252D Clippinger Lab						phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy			fax: (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701