[LON-CAPA-admin] Apache Fails to Start on New Access Servers

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Nov 16 14:42:45 EST 2016

JaBari,

If you are prompted to enter the Internet Domain Name when you run
./UPDATE on a LON-CAPA server where you have previously installed
LON-CAPA, that suggests that the record for the server in
/home/httpd/lonTabs/hosts.tab is incomplete.

The usual reason for that is that the hostname field is blank, because
when ./UPDATE was first run, the hostname with fully qualified domain
name (FQDN) could not be determined.

./UPDATE uses the command:

hostname -f

to retrieve the FQDN.  The command:

cat /etc/sysconfig/network

should return a line "HOSTNAME=<hostname>" where <hostname> is the
FQDN for the server.

On CentOS/Red Hat/Scientific Linux 6, on the command line you can use
the command:

setup

then choose "Network configuration", and then "DNS configuration" to
set the hostname.

If you are setting up a new server, and DNS records for your network
have not yet been updated to include an IP address for your new
hostname, you might also need to (temporarily) include an entry in
/etc/hosts for your IP address and hostname.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium