[LON-CAPA-admin] Upgrading server hardware

Lars ljensen at tmcc.edu
Mon May 23 00:14:49 EDT 2016

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for that explanation and the explanation about the mysql
password. ntpd turned out to have been correctly started at boot by
the install.pl script.

Another thing is that I noticed that we received a warning that
loncontrol should be running on runlevel 4. Currently it is on at
runlevel 3 but off at runlevel 4. Should I set it to on at runlevel 4
also?

Lars.

On Sun, May 22, 2016 at 6:33 PM, Stuart Raeburn <raeburn at msu.edu> wrote:
> Lars,
>
> When you install the LONCAPA-prerequisites rpm that will install the ntp
> package.
>
> When you run install.pl to prepare a server/VM for LON-CAPA, and answer Y to
> the option: "Set overrides for start-up order of services?" that will set
> ntp to start on boot. (In loncapa_install.log you'll find the line:
> "Runlevel update command run: systemctl enable ntpd.service" if you answered
> Y for that option when running install.pl on CentOS 7.
>
> When you run ./UPDATE to install LON-CAPA, one of the post-install actions
> is for Make to parse the ntpcheck.piml script to check whether ntp is
> running. If it is detected that it is not running, the following is written
> to the WARNINGS file:
>
> WARNING: ntp is installed but is not currently running.
> Please verify the configuration of ntp in /etc/ntp.conf and
> /etc/ntp/step-tickers
> Start ntp by executing
> systemctl start ntpd.service
>
> However, apparently Redhat7/CentOS 7/Scientific Linux 7 all need a small
> modification to ntpcheck.piml so that the check operates as intended.
> ntpcheck.piml rev. 1.27 includes the required change.
>
> wget -O ntpcheck.piml
> ;http://source.loncapa.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/doc/loncapafiles/ntpcheck.piml?rev=1.27;content-type=text%2Fplain'
>
> will retrieve that version (which will be in LON-CAPA 2.11.2).
>
> Regardless of that, LON-CAPA's install.pl script will have set the ntp
> service to start on reboot, if you chose to "Set overrides for start-up
> order of services".
>

> Stuart Raeburn
> LON-CAPA Academic Consortium
>

> Quoting Lars <ljensen at tmcc.edu>:
>
>> By the way, does lon-capa keep server time synchronized? Or do I need
>> to take care of this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Lars.
>>
>> On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 3:40 PM, Lars <ljensen at tmcc.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Stuart. You were right on the money. All I had to do was to
>>> install the perl-LDAP module, and everything started right up. What is
>>> the deal with the mysql/mariadb admin password. Is it ever needed? I
>>> have forgotten it and I don't remember ever using it on my old server.
>>> And apparently it wasn't needed for loncapa to gain access the
>>> database once it was copied over to the new server, because everything
>>> on the new system seems normal.
>>>
>>> Lars.

*Public Records Notice:* In accordance with Nevada Revised Statutes (NRS)
Chapter 239, this email and responses, unless otherwise made confidential
by law, may be subject to the Nevada Public Records laws and may be
disclosed to the public upon request.