[LON-CAPA-admin] Upgrading server hardware

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Sun May 22 21:33:30 EDT 2016

Lars,

When you install the LONCAPA-prerequisites rpm that will install the
ntp package.

When you run install.pl to prepare a server/VM for LON-CAPA, and
answer Y to the option: "Set overrides for start-up order of
services?" that will set ntp to start on boot. (In loncapa_install.log
you'll find the line: "Runlevel update command run: systemctl enable
ntpd.service" if you answered Y for that option when running
install.pl on CentOS 7.

When you run ./UPDATE to install LON-CAPA, one of the post-install
actions is for Make to parse the ntpcheck.piml script to check whether
ntp is running. If it is detected that it is not running, the
following is written to the WARNINGS file:

WARNING: ntp is installed but is not currently running.
Please verify the configuration of ntp in /etc/ntp.conf and
/etc/ntp/step-tickers
Start ntp by executing
systemctl start ntpd.service

However, apparently Redhat7/CentOS 7/Scientific Linux 7 all need a
small modification to ntpcheck.piml so that the check operates as
intended. ntpcheck.piml rev. 1.27 includes the required change.

wget -O ntpcheck.piml
;http://source.loncapa.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/doc/loncapafiles/ntpcheck.piml?rev=1.27;content-type=text%2Fplain'

will retrieve that version (which will be in LON-CAPA 2.11.2).

Regardless of that, LON-CAPA's install.pl script will have set the ntp
service to start on reboot, if you chose to "Set overrides for
start-up order of services".

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium