[LON-CAPA-admin] What versions of Apache are known to work?

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Jan 6 16:11:40 EST 2016

HK,

> ... comes with Apache 2.4.6. I haven't been able to get loncapa to work.

Currently about 15% of the servers in the LON-CAPA network are running
Apache 2.4 (on CentOS 7 or Ubuntu 14.04 LTS).

>  ... What
> didn't work is the mod_auth_cas which is used for the single login here at
> fsu.

The issues page for Jasig's mod_auth_cas has an open issue: "Not
compatible with Apache httpd 2.4.x".  See:
https://github.com/Jasig/mod_auth_cas/issues
So, although that is not a LON-CAPA-specific problem, it is a blocker
if you rely on mod_auth_cas for SSO.

> 2.4.6. Also, I haven't been able to  install oracle perl module dbd  which
> is required for the customized auto-enrollment. So these are customization
> problems and probably won't affect most loncapa users.

If you are using DBD::Oracle in a customized
/home/httpd/lib/perl/localenroll.pm file (for auto-enrollment), then
that module is called by lond and lonsql processes, and not
Apache/mod_perl.

The installation problem you encountered with DBD::Oracle on CentOS 7
may have more to do with other differences (besides the Apache
version) which exist between CentOS 6 and CentOS 7. That said, I was
able to successfully install DBD::Oracle rev. 1.74 on CentOS 7
(version 7.2.1511) using

perl Makefile.PL -l
make
make test
make install

after I had installed the following oracle Instant Client rpms:

oracle-instantclient12.1-basic-12.1.0.2.0-1.x86_64
oracle-instantclient12.1-sqlplus-12.1.0.2.0-1.x86_64
oracle-instantclient12.1-devel-12.1.0.2.0-1.x86_64

available from:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/features/instant-client/

and had also set LD_LIBRARY_PATH using:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/oracle/12.1/client64/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

But, as you noted, an installation problem with DBD::Oracle is not an
issue with LON-CAPA itself.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium