[LON-CAPA-admin] What versions of Apache are known to work?

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Mon Jan 4 17:03:34 EST 2016

Paul,

> Running lon-capa on Centos 6.6 here.

The latest version of CentOS 6 is 6.7.
(See:
https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2015-August/021298.html
)

The version of Apache supported by the vendor for CentOS 6 is 2.2.15.
The latest update is: httpd-2.2.15-47.el6.centos.1.

(See:
https://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-announce/2015-December/021538.html
).

LON-CAPA works with Apache 2.4.  However, if you want to use Apache
2.4 with CentOS you should update your Linux OS to CentOS 7.  The
version of Apache available from the vendor for CentOS 7 is 2.4.6-40.

LON-CAPA is supported on CentOS 5, 6, and 7 (and other Linux distros).
See: http://install.loncapa.org for the list of supported distros.

The packages you will find in the LON-CAPA repository for CentOS:
http://install.loncapa.org/centos/loncapa/ are mostly dependencies
that are unavailable in the vendor's standard repos.

For a small number of packages, you will find that the version of the
package in the LON-CAPA repos is newer than the corresponding package
available from the vendor's standard repos.  However, I only do this
if there is particular functionality needed by LON-CAPA, that is
absent in the vendor-supplied package.  I do not currently have plans
to do that for Apache 2.4 for CentOS 6.

End of Lifetime (EOL) dates for CentOS are available from:
https://wiki.centos.org/About/Product

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium