[LON-CAPA-admin] Checking on a student complaint (lost grades)

Lucas, Mark lucasm at ohio.edu
Mon Mar 30 13:44:14 EDT 2015

I have yet to find an episode where the information for a whole assignment is lost.
When faced with something like this I run through the activity file you mentioned and the
“Recent Activity” as parsed out by Lon-CAPA. I also tend to make a copy of log files
from all my servers (apache logs) just in case I need to do some cross referencing for
certain sessions. I have yet to find a discrepancy with the one exception of a
student effectively entering two answers (one of which was right) at almost exactly the
same time. This shows up as wrong, but you have a record of the right answer in the logs
and the instructor sees this as correct.

Outside of blatant attempts to game the system, Gerd has found some cases where
a student may have thought they did the assignment, but they really were logged in as
someone else when they did it.

We tell them in the syllabus to record receipt numbers to confirm that they did the assignment.
We have yet to have a case with a receipt number and no work in LON-CAPA.

Later,
Mark