[LON-CAPA-admin] Missing server-status page

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Mon Jul 13 18:35:22 EDT 2015

Hi Maged,

> However, after an apache reload or restart, I still get
> server-status which says Forbidden.

You should check that mod-status is enabled.
sudo apache2ctl -M | sort
will show which Apache modules are loaded.

If mod_status is not listed as a loaded module, do:
sudo a2enmod status

If there are no other configuration files controlling access to
/server-status, then this directive in loncapa_apache.conf should be
the one which applies:

<Location /server-status>
PerlAccessHandler Apache::lonstatusacc
SetHandler server-status
</Location>

The access handler lonstatusacc.pm will return FORBIDDEN unless you
satisfy one of the conditions set for this particular page in your
domain configuration.  A Domain Coordinator can use the web GUI:

Main Menu > Set domain configuration > Display ("Access to server
status pages" checked)

and for the row: "Apache Status Page" either enter your
username:domain in the "Other named users" box or enter your
computer's static IP address in the "Specific IPs" column, then click
"Save Changes".

If access has not been configured for specific users or IP addresses,
then a user who has a domain coordinator role will, by default, be
able to access /server-status when logged into LON-CAPA, with that
role selected.

You should also be able to retrieve /server-status from the command
line on the server itself:

wget http://localhost/server-status

or

wget --no-check-certificate https://localhost/server-status

(if running Apache/SSL)

You should see: "Connecting to localhost|127.0.0.1|:80... connected"
or "Connecting to localhost|127.0.0.1|:443... connected", when you do
this, assuming you have an entry for localhost pointing at 127.0.0.1
in /etc/hosts

> And I still cannot find a file or folder under /home/httpd/html with
>   this name.

No, you won't find it there.

The server-status page is generated by the mod_status Apache module,
and an Apache config entry: "SetHandler server-status" is needed to
link the URL: /server-status with that shared module.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium