[LON-CAPA-admin] Switch server but no role

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Thu Jan 22 18:51:33 EST 2015

Hi,

> Question is why there is no role for the student? Is it a timeout issue?

That can happen in the following scenario:

1. I open a new tab in my web browser and log-in to LON-CAPA via a
load balancer server.

2. I select a role from the roles screen displayed after being
switched to the session-hosting server.

3. I close that browser tab, but don't quit my browser, and don't
explicitly log-out of LON-CAPA using the "Logout" link at top right.

4. Some time later I open another tab in the same browser and log-in
via the load balancer. If my session is switched to the same server as
used in the earlier session then all I would see in my activity.log
file would be the one line:

time <load-balancer lonhostID> Switch Server to <host> with role  <ip addr>

i.e., no "Log-in" entry and no "Role" entry.

The activity.log entries you reported originate from
/home/httpd/lib/perl/Apache/switchserver.pm on the loadbalancer server
(fsua0).

If you look in the Apache web server access log file on the intended
session-hosting server (fsua1) you should find a number of entries of
the form:

where <ip add> is the user's IP address, <domain> is the user's
domain, <username> is the user's username, and ... is the rest of the
query string.

Typically, no role is specified when a user logs-in to a load
balancer.  Instead the session-hosting server will send the roles
screen to the user's browser (after migration) for the user to select
a role.

In that instance the expected sequence of entries logged in the user's
activity.log file is:

(a) time <load-balancer lonhostID> Switch Server to <host> with role
<ip addr>
(b) time <session lonhostID>       Login <ip addr>
(c) time <session lonhostID>       Role <role selected>

where (a) is a log entry submitted by the load-balancer; (b) and (c)
are entries submitted by the session hosting server -- (b) when
session migration is successful; (c) when the user selects a role.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium