[LON-CAPA-admin] LON-Balancer

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Fri Jan 9 11:19:06 EST 2015

Mark,

> Does one still need to make changes in the httpd loncapa config
> file? Does one set it
> up totally through the web now?

The intention in 2.11 has been to support designation and
configuration of "lonBalancer" instances (i.e., LON-CAPA load balancer
servers) exclusively using the web, by accessing:

Main Menu -> Set domain configuration -> Display (Dedicated Load
Balancer(s) checked) with the domain coordinator role active.

See the help file:
https://loncapa.msu.edu/adm/help/Domain_Configuration_Load_Balancing.hlp

In the case where web configuration has yet to be used, but

lonBalancer yes

exists in an Apache config file, then the LON-CAPA instance will
continue to operate as a load balancer, but without the various 2.11
options for determining where particular groups of users are offloaded
to.

However, in reviewing the 2.11.0 code I found one situation where
"lonBalancer yes" in the Apache config was still consulted -- namely
when an institutionally authenticated user first creates a new
LON-CAPA account on a load balancer server.  I have just committed
createaccount.pm rev. 1.69 to the LON-CAPA CVS repository.  This new
version now fully eliminates the need for "lonBalancer yes" in an
Apache config file.  createaccount.pm rev. 1.69 will be part of 2.11.1

At this point you have two options with 2.11.0:

(a) Use the web GUI to configure load balancing, and also include
"lonBalancer yes" in an Apache config file to support the one
situation with self-creation of accounts discussed above.

or

(b) Use the web GUI to configure load balancing, and replace
createaccount.pm rev 1.68 (included in 2.11.0) with rev. 1.69 using:

wget -O /home/httpd/lib/perl/Apache/createaccount.pm
'http://source.loncapa.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/loncom/interface/createaccount.pm?rev=1.69;content-type=text/plain'

/etc/init.d/httpd reload

(Note: by doing this, you will cause the nightly module version check
to send an e-mail because of the discrepancy between the expected
(1.68) and installed (1.69) versions).

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium