[LON-CAPA-admin] Question about Case of Student IDs

Lucas, Mark lucasm at ohio.edu
Tue Dec 29 14:21:20 EST 2015

Hi,

I’ve got a quick question about student IDs. Is the case of any letters
automatically translated to lowercase by automatic enrollment?

Here is the situation:
* Our student ids have a P prefixed to the ID.
  For example, P001395258.

* Early on I converted that to lowercase within my own auto enrollment
  code. This was probably not the smartest move as it now turns out
  there are automatic upload capabilities for things like grades that
  require the upper case version of the PID. It would be a lot easier
  to be able to download the PID with the classlist and not have to
  bump it back to upper case.

* I fixed my localenroll.pm code to keep the capital P throughout,
  but I realized that even though the classlist files (the xml code)
  have the capital P, it doesn’t make it into the classlist that way.

I think the transliteration of the ID is done in Enrollment.pm:

------------------
# Get mapping of student/employee IDs to usernames for users in institutional data for this class
    my @allINids = ();
    my %unameFromINid = ();
    foreach my $uname (@okusers) {
        $enrollinfo{$uname}[ $place{'studentID'} ] =~ tr/A-Z/a-z/;
        my $stuID = $enrollinfo{$uname}[ $place{'studentID'} ];
        if (grep/^$stuID$/, at allINids)  {
            push @{$unameFromINid{$stuID}},$uname;
        } else {
            push @allINids, $stuID;
            @{$unameFromINid{$stuID}} = $uname;
        }
    }
—————————
… but I’m not totally certain.

So the question remains, is the lower case forced by the system
or have I missed something in my own code that is doing this.

Thanks!
Mark

Mark Lucas 								email: lucasm at ohiou.edu
252D Clippinger Lab						phone: (740)597-2984
Department of Physics and Astronomy			fax: (740)593-0433
Ohio University
Athens, OH 45701