[LON-CAPA-admin] Problems during Course Initialization occur after cloning a course

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Mon Sep 22 12:45:43 EDT 2014

Martin,

> Doing a test by cloning the original course again results in getting
> the same error. No other courses seem to be affected.

> Invalid map: /home/httpd/html/adm/notfound.html

This error means that the initial replication of the default.sequence
file (the XML file of course contents at the top level folder in the
course) failed, resulting in a top-level course URL of
/adm/notfound.html.

I would however expect that cloning etc. would have proceeded despite this.

The most likely reason for the replication failure is that your Apache
default-ssl.conf file does not include an entry for the correct Server
Certificate Chain.

Look for: SSLCertificateChainFile in that file.

The version of libwww-perl used by Ubuntu 12.04 will not, by default,
retrieve a file from an https:// URL unless the certificate chain can
be used to verify the hostname.

If it cannot, LWP will return a 500 error, and the URL for the course
will be set to /adm/notfound.html

Look in /home/httpd/perl/logs/lonnet.log for:

Can't connect to <hostname>:443 (certificate verify failed):

You could also check in /var/log/apache2/ssl_access_log for entries
similar to:

"GET /userfiles/tuc/<courseid>/default.sequence HTTP/1.1"

where <courseid> is the internal courseID of the course you created in
the tuc domain.

However, if certificate verification did indeed fail, LWP will not
have made the request, so you'll not find a "GET" for that URL logged
in ssl_access_log.

 From the command line you might check whether the certificate chain
is valid by using:

wget https://loncapa.tu-clausthal.de/userfiles/tuc/<courseid>/default.sequence

replacing <courseid> with the internal courseID of the course.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium