[LON-CAPA-admin] Student logins on multiple servers affecting performance

Raymond Batchelor batchelo at sfu.ca
Sun Sep 14 04:32:39 EDT 2014

I have a student who is getting errors messages like:

"LON-CAPA Access Control  .....  Sorry.  This action is currently not authorized."

He says:

"This message occurs everytime i try to navigate to the next homework question. If i want to go to another question , I have to click back to the home page and select the lon capa for chemistry once more , and then the assignment again. after that i can choose the question after. Its not allowing me to press the green button."

The URL he shows in the address bar (in a screenshot) looks like
"nernst.chem.sfu.ca/res/sfu/batchelo/chem121/problems/lecture/set2/nernst.chem.sfu.ca/adm/navmaps"

He also maintains that:
"also , when i try to navigate my math 150 lon capa a "bad request" appears. ( I have attached a screenshot.)"

That screenshot appears to have the URL
"nernst.chem.sfu.ca/enc/61/nernst.chem.sfu.ca/adm/flip"

Interestingly, User Status displays for our different servers imply that he does NOT, at this time, have any current session on
nernst.chem.sfu.ca

but rather that he has a session on
newton.science.sfu.ca (Role: st./sfu/9R29554f6c6f253d3sfulc/D100 Course: 2014 Fall MATH 150 D100 (sfu_9R29554f6c6f253d3sfulc))

and another session on
lewis.chem.sfu.ca  (Role: cm Not in a course)

When I look in /home/https/perl/tmp directories of each of our servers, I find that on nernst.chem.sfu.ca, there are a great many (apparently redundant) files of the type

-rw-r--r-- 1 www www      41 Sep 13 15:47 username_sfu_1410648463_13247673_plot.data.17
etc etc...

On each of the other servers there are fewer such files and not redundant ones.

I am wondering what I should do about this situation.

I am tempted to delete all files beginning with this particular username, in /home/httpd/perl/tmp/ on the nernst.chem.sfu.ca server.

However that is only a guess. So I am leery of proceed to test out that idea.  I also have a notion that there may some automatic clearing out of such files in the /home/httpd/perl/tmp directories on the servers each night.

At this point, I think I will just wait until sun-up before attempting to address this issue further.

Perhaps you could comment on how this might have occurred and how I can remedy the situation and prevent it occurring again?

Thanks!!!

Ray