[LON-CAPA-admin] Java Applet fails because of permissions

Martin Diedrich diedrich at rz.tu-clausthal.de
Wed Oct 15 04:06:02 EDT 2014

Hello all together again,

ich have another question on LON-CAPA 2.11.0 regarding the formula
editor the user gets when clicking on the small pencil-icon right to the
answer-box where a formula is required as correct answer:

I got a request, the editor does not start correctly. I verified that by
klicking the icon described above and got a "blocked by security
settings"-Error in Java (using actual Firefox on patched Windows, actual
Java RE). The error ist described on
https://www.java.com/en/download/help/java_blocked.xml and the third
characteristic occurs ("Missing required Permissions manifest attribute
in main jar"). The described workarounds (see my link) are functional
but not the favored solution as not all users realize what they are doing.

As the cause of the error for me seems to be the missing "permissions"
attribute in MainApplet.java which I associate is part of and maintained
by LON-CAPA (is it?), I hereby communicate the problem hoping for a
solution in a coming relase - is this possible? If you need more
information on that issue, just send me an email :)!

Greetins from germany
Martin Diedrich
Dipl.-Wirt.-Inf. Martin Diedrich   E-Mail: diedrich at rz.tu-clausthal.de
Rechenzentrum TU Clausthal         Telefon: +49 5323 72 2522
Erzstrasse 51                      Jabber: ifmdi at jabber.tu-clausthal.de
38678 Clausthal-Zellerfeld         WWW: http://www.rz.tu-clausthal.de/