[LON-CAPA-admin] xtics and gnuplot

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Wed Jul 9 11:45:08 EDT 2014

Hi Hon-Kie,

> A strange thing happen with gnuplot and xtics (running on 2.10.1). When
> using the line below, the graph is not generated or printed.

If you have updated your server to LONCAPA-prerequisites rev 1.23 (for
LON-CAPA 2.11.0) that will have updated gnuplot from rev 4.2 to rev 4.4.

Unfortunately, a change between those two versions of gnuplot results
in a gnuplot error when creating a plot in which either the xtics or
ytics tags have been included, and location has been set to "axis",
(for the case where you are running LON-CAPA 2.10.1 with gunplot 4.4).

You can display the version of gnuplot you have using:

gnuplot -V

A change was made to lonplot.pm (included in 2.11.0) to accommodate
this gnuplot change.

If you are running LON-CAPA 2.10.1, and the version of gnuplot
installed is 4.4 or later, and you do not plan to update to 2.11.0
immediately, then you should replace the version of lonplot.pm (1.152)
shipped with 2.10.1 with a modified version (1.152.6.1), which
includes the patch for xtics/ytics location=axis support for gnuplot 4.4

 From the command line, use the command (all one one line):

wget -O /home/httpd/lib/perl/Apache/lonplot.pm
'http://source.loncapa.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/loncom/xml/lonplot.pm?rev=1.152.6.1;content-type=text/plain'

then, depending on Linux distro:

/etc/init.d/httpd reload      (CentOS, Scientific Linux, RedHat, Fedora)

or

/etc/init.d/apache2 reload  (Ubuntu, SLES, SuSE)

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium