[LON-CAPA-admin] WARNING: Cannot connect to database!

Mark Lucas lucasm at ohio.edu
Fri Jan 10 09:15:20 EST 2014

On a hunch I searched "centos 6 mysql bug" and found the following:

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=71086

It turns out that for some reason mysql is leaving the /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock  socket file
upon shutdown. It may be permissions.

service mysqld status    shows mysqld down

service mysqld start   gives
Another MySQL daemon already running with the same unix socket.
Starting mysqld:                                           [FAILED]

if the socket is still there.

Removing the socket as root allows mysqld to start.

Later,
Mark