[LON-CAPA-admin] Autoenroll not running?

Stuart Raeburn raeburn at msu.edu
Tue Aug 12 09:50:45 EDT 2014

Paul,

> ... That seems like some evidence that  autoenroll did run, but the
> log does not show it and the students  were not enabled until I
> re-ran it at 8am.
>
> Does anyone have any thoughts on what could be going wrong?

Running Manage Users -> Automated Enrollment -> "Update roster now"
from within a course via the web interface does not write to the log
file (information about the outcome is written to web output instead).
It is the Autoenroll.pl script (run nightly by cron) which writes to
autoenroll.log

I would look in root's mail on your server to see if there is an error
message there from the Cron Daemon for Autoenroll.pl, documenting that
the script encountered an error.

Autoenroll.pl is run as the www user and the log file (autoenroll.log)
which it writes to needs to be owned by www:www.

If, at some time in the past you ran Autoenroll.pl from the command
line as root, that would have caused a new log file -- autoenroll.log
-- to have been created with ownership by root.  Subsequent nightly
runs of Autoenroll.pl by cron would not have been able to write to
that file, and equally, LON-CAPA's rotation of log files would not
have rotated an autoenroll.log file owned by root.

Stuart Raeburn
LON-CAPA Academic Consortium