[LON-CAPA-admin] update lonplot.pm and gnuplot

Jon Hall jdh65 at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 28 20:02:40 EDT 2013

I am authoring some problems that would benefit from larger arrows on the vectors and see (from bug 4308) that lonplot.pm vers.1.160 supports just that.

However it appears (http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-dev/2013-August/002045.html) that lonplot.pm 1.159 and later require gnuplot 4.4 (or newer).

I am running CentOS6 which has gnuplot 4.2 patch 6.

Is it "safe, acceptable, suggested, encouraged, allowed" to follow the directions at http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-dev/2007-November/001852.html to update my gnuplot, despite all of the warnings on both messages about the message being "for people who are running bleeding edge LON-CAPA on a development machine/VM."

If it seems OK for me to do this on a production machine, any help doing it on CentOS6 would be appreciated since the directions at http://mail.lon-capa.org/pipermail/lon-capa-dev/2007-November/001852.html are only for CentOS5.

Thanks!

JH